Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Hallows End

As we were driving home last night there was a spectacular lightning storm. It rained and blew all the way, and didn't let up till we got home safely, thank God.

I finished The Deathly Hallows Wednesday morning and I loved it. Rose was significantly ahead of me in the book, but I began to catch up to her by Tuesday as we were drove to Charleston. Mark & I kept hearing her gasp and groan from the back seat. Then she wailed, "Mom, close the book right now!" She was in tears, but not just the quiet, embarrassed kind of tears you have in a movie. She was unabashedly crying like I haven't seen her cry in years. Over the next few hours and on into the night, I found her hiding in quiet corners of the house, reading, with tears streaming down her face. I began catching up with her, and finished the book Wednesday morning. I wholeheartedly believe Rowling has pulled it off in every way, and I can't wait to hear more from her about the story.

The discussion on Granger's site about the Christian ending is excellent. The image of Voldemort over Harry's body reminds me of Pauline Bayne's illustration of the White Witch over Aslan's body.