Thursday, October 25, 2007

Dairy-Free Lettuce

Recently, every morning Ella has situated herself and her breakfast behind three boxes of cereal arranged in three-quarters of a trapezoid. I can imagine the cozy feeling she enjoys behind the boxes as breakfast table chaos reigns around her.

She has always enjoyed reading cereal boxes. I have said before that I could teach my kids anything if it were set to music. Likewise, Ella could learn anything if it were on the back of a cereal box.

She's always been an avid reader of cereal boxes, and I am often confronted with healthy advice from this seven year-old about how to reduce my blood pressure, lower my cholesterol, or increase my fiber intake.

So today she asks, "Mom, what does 'dairy-free' mean?"
I explain that some foods have milk, cheese, or eggs as an ingredient, and "dairy-free" means that it doesn't have any of that.
She replies, "So, like, lettuce in a bowl of milk isn't dairy-free..."
"Right..."
Looking thoughtful, "...You would have to take it out of the milk," she says.
"Exactly."

Just another educational moment at the Mancuso house.