Saturday, November 10, 2007

History of the Early Church: The Best Curriculum

Every first Tuesday of the month I get together with the ladies of my Purple Group. This is the name of the small group in the larger Protestant homeschool organization we are a part of. I've told the ladies that by the time our youngest children get into school, they're going to call us the grey group...

Last Tuesday my friend Elizabeth asked a general question: "Does anyone know of a good 'Church History' curriculum?"

A few of the ladies tossed out some ideas: Sonlight, Veritas, Story of the World; Mystery of History...

I kept asking myself: "What is our Church history curriculum?? What is it??"

Then it dawned on me.

Why, of course, it's the CHURCH--the ORTHODOX CHURCH. When we read the readings for the day, the saints for the day and follow the calendar of services, we are living and re-living Church History.

This is the best example of the classical approach. I could try Mystery of History to put the Early Church into a quizzable curriculum. Or I could just decide to bring my kids to church on the Nativity of the Theotokos, the Exaltation of the Cross, etc. We could get a text book and read the author's interpretation of the Early Church, or we could just live it.

The quizzes are probably more complicated in the text book approach, but I bet our final exam has more sparkly vestments.